One of the most currently popular cosmetic treatments is called microdermabrasion. This is when the upper layer of your skin is removed by a medical professional using a small hand-held device. The procedure evens out the appearance of your skin, decreases the signs of aging, and exfoliates your skin. This treatment is safe for individuals of every skin color. You can have this treatment as often as every week or once every two months. This is dependent on the cosmetic effect you hope to achieve and the tolerance of your skin. Most people begin with one session a week for three weeks, then switch to maintenance treatments once a month. Although there are kits to perform the treatment at home, it is important to have the procedure performed by a medical professional. Treating yourself at home is not recommended.
A series of microdermabrasion treatments is generally necessary if you have clogged pores, uneven pigmentation, or fine lines. The procedure is non-invasive. The medical professional rubs or sprays very fine crystals into your skin using a special wand. This provides gentle exfoliation to your skin and removes the upper layer. The result is the appearance of more youthful skin. You should not experience any pain during your treatment. According to the (AAD) American Academy of Dermatology, the treatment requires 20 minutes for the neck and 30 to 40 minutes for the face. The number and frequency of your treatments will depend on the reason you are having the procedure and your type of skin. This can be determined by the medical professional at your consultation.
Most individuals are interested in this treatment for the rejuvenation of their neck and face. This procedure is also effective for nearly any part of your body. The goal of the treatment is to make your complexion brighter and smoother with a more even coloration. The most common reasons for having the treatment include:
• Uneven skin tone
• Age spots
• Dull complexion
• Dark spots resulting after acne clears
• Uneven skin texture
Numerous medical professionals perform this treatment to enhance the results from skin-bleaching products and anti-aging procedures. You will have a consultation with our medical professional prior to receiving microdermabrasion. This is an excellent opportunity to ask questions such as your expected results, how many treatments are necessary, and the cost. In many instances, you will be shown before and after photographs of individuals who have already undergone microdermabrasion. It is important to keep your expectations realistic. Your skin will be examined to make certain you are a good candidate for this treatment. The procedure does not require a lengthy period of recovery. You skin should recover enough during the next week to have another treatment.
It is important to have your treatment performed by an experienced medical professional. This is important for your safety because the procedure will penetrate and disrupt the surface of your skin. Your treatment will stimulate the flow of your blood to increase the amount of nutrition received by your skin cells. This triggers an improvement in your cell production. The result is an improvement in the texture and elasticity of your skin. In some cases, the procedure will decrease the look of acne scars. This treatment is not appropriate for specific skin conditions because it can cause additional breakouts and irritate your skin. These conditions include:
• Active sunburn
• Fragile capillaries
• Open sores
• Widespread acne
This is a good option for treating the scars left behind by acne. This type of scar is the result of a previous breakout. The scars often become more obvious due to the loss of collagen resulting from the aging process. Collagen is a protein fiber responsible for the suppleness and smoothness of your skin. The scars can also become more noticeable due to exposure to the sun. This does not mean you will have acne scars for the rest of your life. This procedure removes the top layer of your skin with a special device. This enables the toned and smooth skin beneath to be revealed. This treatment is the most effective for depressed scarring resulting in pits in your skin. This procedure is only effective for any depressed acne scarring provided it is flat against your skin. This procedure is not effective for deeper scars and ice pick scars.
In addition to removing excess sebum or oil from your pores, your treatment will remove the dead cells of skin responsible for clogging your pores. This means the treatment is often effective for individuals with mild to moderate acne.
The Procedure for Microdermabrasion
During your consultation, your skin will be evaluated by a medical professional, including any blemishes on your skin you want to have targeted. The options best suited for your specific needs and cosmetic goals will be addressed. You should ask questions until you have a thorough understanding of all your options. You will also receive instructions for the proper treatment and care of your skin in the future. You will need to provide a complete medical history at this time. The recommendations of the medical professional are based on your physical characteristics, the condition of your skin, and your personal goals. The medical professional will additionally discuss:
• The expected outcome of your treatment
• The preparation necessary for your treatment
• Your treatment plan, including which device or devices will be used
• The cost of your treatment
• How many treatments you will require
• Answers to all of your questions
You will receive thorough instructions from the medical professional regarding your pre-treatment. A detailed medical history will be taken and a physical examination will be performed to ensure you are in good overall health to have microdermabrasion. You will most likely be asked about:
• Any medications resulting in skin sensitivity including (tretinoin) Retin-A
• Any cuts, wounds or open sores on your face that could become infected
• Any skin conditions that could potentially be exacerbated by your treatment
There are certain steps you need to take prior to your microdermabrasion treatment. The medical professional may recommend:
• Stop smoking a minimum of six weeks prior to your treatment to enhance your healing process.
• Make certain you are well hydrated both before and after the procedure to help ensure an optimal recovery
• Your face should be clean and free of skin care products and cosmetics the day of your treatment
• Discontinue taking certain herbal medications, anti-inflammatory drugs and aspirin for several days prior to treatment
There are two basic methods used for microdermabrasion. The crystal method uses a handpiece spraying crystals onto your skin’s surface. This gently abrades and polishes you skin. The crystals and dead skin cells are then suctioned off using the same device or during the secondary process. The diamond-tip method uses a handpiece with a diamond tip to gently abrade and exfoliate your dead skin cells. Just like with the crystal method, the dead skin cells are either suctioned using the same device or during the next procedure.
A moisturizer containing SPF protection may be applied to your skin as soon as your treatment has concluded for protection and hydration. If you have a serious skin condition including deep acne, dermatitis, eczema or active rosacea, the medical professional will determine if this treatment is appropriate for your specific needs. Additional procedures are often necessary prior to your treatment if you have any open sores, skin lesions or herpes breakouts. Depending on the sensitivity of your skin, you may see a little redness after your microdermabrasion treatment. You can normalize this with a moisturizer.
You can return to your daily schedule, including wearing cosmetics, after your session. The procedure is non-invasive. Wearing a high quality sunscreen after your treatment is important to ensure your skin is protected from the harmful rays of the sun. You will see a healthy glow for several days after your procedure. Achieving your best results will require multiple treatments. Most individuals require between five and twelve treatments to reach their optimal results. Maintenance treatments should then be scheduled to ensure your results will continue to last.
The Benefits of Microdermabrasion
There are a lot of advantages to this treatment in addition to exfoliating away dead skin cells. This includes:
• Circulation: The treatment can improve your lymphatic and blood circulation deeply beneath your skin. This improves your skin’s internal health. The enhanced flow of blood supplies additional nutrients and oxygen to your cells for an improvement in your cell process, more elasticity and skin enhancements.
• Exfoliation: This treatment is one of the best possible options for polishing and buffing your skin. The procedure removes built up layers of skin cells, impurities and dirt. This is accomplished with diamond tipped wands or tiny micro-crystals. The dead skin cells are suctioned away to remove the dead skin cells revealing fresh, new skin cells.
• Enhancing product efficiency: Better circulation is promoted by the removal of the dead cells. This enhances skin care product absorbency. No matter what products you are using for your skin care, the improved absorbency will provide better results than in the past.
• Cell turnover: There are a lot of reasons for the slowing down of cell turnover. The two most major causes are the environment and the aging process. As this turnover continues to slow, your skin can take on a tired and dull appearance. This process speeds up due to microdermabrasion. Your renewed and fresher skin is revealed underneath the dull skin.
• Pore Health: The treatment will help unclog your pores while decreasing their size. To a certain degree, everyone is born with a specific size pore. This being said, your pores can be enlarged due to numerous factors such as being clogged, skin inflammation, and hygiene. This treatment helps remove the blockage. The result is an improvement in your skin circulation, an improvement in the hygiene of your skin and a decrease in inflammation.
• Pigmentation: Since your skin care products gain the ability to penetrate deeper, they can reach the area where the pigmentation is located. Even though the pigmentation on your skin’s surface is apparent, skin care products must be able to reach the dermis or they will be unable to remove or reverse what is causing the pigmentation.
• Safety: A lot of individuals have chosen this treatment over other options such as chemical peels and laser procedures because it is safer and provides excellent results. There is no lengthy period of recovery or medication necessary. This makes the procedure an option both safe and effective.
• The Multiple Uses: This treatment is effective for numerous skin issues and conditions. This includes acne scarring, acne, dull skin, hyperpigmentation, age spots, fine lines, and wrinkles.
If you are interested in microdermabrasion, consider us here at MacMed Spa in Milford, Framingham, and Hopedale. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!